Thursday, March 03, 2005

Why do it again?

So, since I've already run it twice, some people might ask "Why do it again? What do you have to prove?" With running, I really don't have anything left to prove. Badwater is about locating your own boundaries.

But you always look for more motivation. The initial excitement of prepping for the unknown is replaced with the knowledge of the hard work in store. In July of 2001, right before my first Badwater crossing, I started coaching for Team in Training. In the past four years, I've met some great people, had some memorable times, and been given the chance to help with a great cause. Over that time, I think our teams have raised around $2 million. Along the way, I got to help hundreds of people transform themselves into doers. No one at my "regular" jobs ever told me I changed their life.

So this year, I'm going to run Badwater again, and I'm going to do it to raise money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. I'm going to send emails to all those people that I've coached and ask them to donate a few bucks if I changed their lives a little bit. It's not for me. It's for a charity that I care about. 100% of what I raise will go directly to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, as I'm covering all my own expenses for the event. I'm hoping to raise $10,000.

In return, I hope my training and my race can inspire our current crop of runners and walkers to tough out the training for their event. I'm going to update every week, with the good, the bad, and the ugly (lots of ugly). I have a lot of miles to run, lots of weights to lift, and lots of weight to lose. I'll tell you about all of it. Hopefully you'll get a feel for what it takes to prepare for such a race, and maybe take something valuable away.

NOTE: If you're a Summer 2005 participant, please don't feel compelled to contribute, but keep reading!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home