Thursday, June 09, 2005

Rock'n'Roll: 75 for 75

Well, we had a great weekend down at San Diego. Coach Murray and I took 56 runners & walkers, plus 19 mentors and alumni down to the Rock'n'Roll marathon. Every stinkin' one of 'em finished! There's nothing better for a coach than race day, which is really like watching a graduation ceremony for us. Murray and I ran out on the course early, catching most folks around mile 2, then I took off and started running with some different groups. Murray cut back to mile 10 and caught our faster runners coming through.

I think the biggest push of the day came with getting our walkers past the second cutoff. Our last walkers came through mile 16 with less than 50 minutes to go, so we literally pushed the last group to the final cutoff, making it with less than 2 minutes to go! We walked past the finish, took a break on the curb, and saw that the police had pulled across the course, diverting the slowest folks up ahead. That was awesome! (but my arms are still tired).

As always, we end up getting to really know everybody on the weekend of the race, right when we're finishing up, but it's always a great experience!

Training Update

We had a great 11 miler on Tuesday up in the Santa Monicas. I ran with Mark (see below) and Steve Matsuda, and I was moving with no effort up and down the hills. It's a great feeling when you get to a very strong level. The achilles is bothering me a little bit, but I think it'll be OK.

Last night, did a 10 miler with a jacket on. At this point, I actually end up doing lots of my midweek runs with a black windbreaker on. It's really pretty unpleasant, because not only do you sweat, but you also lose any evaporative cooling you might get. Perfect BW training.

I have three more long runs. This weekend will be about 35, the following about 30, then on June 25, I'll be pacing my friend Mark Giebel at the Western States 100 miler. Probably only around 20 miles, but it'll be at night, managing a tired runner (who, by the way, is about 6'4" and 200 lbs., making sure he doesn't wander off the trail. WS is the granddaddy of 100s, the oldest, and best known, and should be lots of fun. It runs from Tahoe to Auburn (near Sacramento) across the Sierra Nevadas. Word is that there's a good deal of snow on the ground near the start, but my friend is a National Ski Patrol pro with lots of experience on the white stuff, so he should be OK.

The Numbers

Well, I'm officially 20 pounds down, for those keeping track. I'll be pushing hard these last 5 weeks. If I can get down another pound a week, near 180, I'll be extremely happy.

Starting weight: 206.5
Current weight: 186.5 (-20)
Long run: ~29 (at the San Diego R'n'R Marathon)
Last week's miles: ~65

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home